Bharadwajasana belongs to the family of twisting poses in Yoga. These postures are best practiced after the practices of forward and backward bending asana. Such poses enhance the ability of internal and external rotation of hip joints. They are also helpful in releasing the psychological knots in the emotional level
Meaning of the name: Bharwadwaja is name of the sage and this asana’s name is derived from the name of the sage.
Practice of Bharwadwaja Asana
- Take Sama sthithi. i.e Dandasana.
- Exhaling bend the left the leg as in Vajrasana. Inhale.
- Exhaling bend the right knee and place it on the root of the left thigh, catch the big toe by the right hand from behind, Place the left palm below the right knee.
- Maintain the final position with normal breathing. Gaze at the right side while in the final position.
- Repeat the practice on another side after 5 breathings.
Precautions and Contraindications:
- Supine twists are safer in the beginning.
- Avoid jerky movements in the practice.
- Women are advised not to practice this pose during menstruation and Pregnancy.
Bharadwajasana is highly beneficial for many reasons
- Spinal health: Alternative contraction and relaxation of the spinal vertebras are good to enhance the strength and flexibility of the spinal column, Spinal muscles, and nerves including the discs are nourished due to improved blood circulation.
- Lung capacity: The chest expansion tones the intercostals muscles and improves the exchanges of the gases in the lungs efficiently.
- Abdominal muscles: There is a strong message on the organs in the abdominal cavity, Organs such as the liver spleen, intestines are toned during the squeezing and releasing mechanisms with the pressure exerted in the pose by the heel.
- The pressure of the heel against the sides of the abdominal cavity on each side stimulates the intestinal peristalsis.
- Joints range of motion: All most all the major joints of the body are placed in best possible actions in order maintain the stability and mobility of the various joints of the body.