Gomukhasana is one of the classical yoga poses explained in Hatha Pradipika. This asana is effective for the strength and flexibility of the joints and ligaments of both the shoulder and pelvic girdles. The concept of static stretching in the practice of asanas in the Curriculum of Classical Hatha Yoga is helpful for the stabilization of the muscles without creating the strong forces of the resistance by the joints in the body because of the use of isometric contractions. This is one of the best asana to restore symmetry and postural health. It is wise to have this in your practical Yoga Training Session.
The final position of the pose assumes the shape of the face of the cow, hence it is called as Cow face pose.
The procedure of the practice of Cow face pose.
Sit in Samasthithi
- Exhaling bend the right knee and place it on the left knee so that the right sole touches the left hip, Inhale.
- Exhaling bend the left knee so that, left sole touches the right hip.
- Inhaling raises the right arm and interlock the fingers with the left hand from a backside.
- Looking straight maintain the pose for 5 breaths.
- Exhaling brings down the arms.
- Inhaling keep the right leg straight, Exhale.
- Inhaling keep the left leg straight.
- Repeat the procedure on the other side.
Benefits of Gomukhasana
- This asana induces a deep state of relaxation.
- Brings the peace of mind and serenity, concentration
- Helps in relieving the stress and the tendencies of the anxiety
- Good for improving the strength and flexibility of the shoulder joints through the actions of deltoids and rotator cuffs. This helps in preventing the drooping and frozen shoulders.
- Strengthens the spinal column and relieves the back and neck pain.
- Expansion of the chest enhances the lung capacity.
- Stimulates the peristalsis and relieves the digestive disorders.
- Promotes the range of motion of the hips joints and the flexibility of the muscles in the pelvic girdle.
- Promotes the health of the reproductive organs
- Brings the good postural health.
The neck and the lower back the prominent sites of the parasympathetic nervous systems, This pose particularly brings the elasticity in these two regions which is helpful bring the deep state of relaxation and hence it helpful in the reduction of the blood pressure. It makes the preparation of the mind to the practice of meditation.
Contraindications and limitations
It is not advised for the people with the chronic injuries of the knees and shoulder joints.