Uttana Padasana is also called as extended fish pose in English. It is one of the excellent counter pose for many of the inverted poses such as sarvangasana or Veepareeta Karani in the practical of the curriculum of Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Courses in India.
The pose is loved by many yogis because of its effectives in the achievement of the best possible cervical health which is more important for many of the people having too much sedentary or semi sedentary lifestyle work profile .The practice of this asana generally takes at the end of the practice of all the inverted poses and it serves as the best counter pose for these inverted poses which are known as restorative yoga poses.
This pose is practiced by the beginners as well as intermediate level of students under the guidance of the competent and experienced teacher.
Procedure of the Extended Fish Pose
Preparation : Take the supine position, Shavasana.
- Inhaling make an arch of the neck with the help of the fore arms or palms. Exhale.
- Inhaling raise the legs together towards an angle of 450
- Join the palms together above the thighs maintain the pose for 5 breaths
- Fix the gazing on the nose tip
- Exhaling bring down the legs
- Inhaling relax into Supine position
Limitations and Contraindications: This posture is not recommended for the people with
- Serious neck injuries and chronic pain and stiffness.
- Hypertension and cardiovascular diseases.
- Pregnant women
Benefits of Uttana Padasana : Application of proper Principles and Practice of Yoga Asana brings various Health Benefits. With this in mind, the regular practice of Uttana Padasana is known to bring following wonderful benefits.
- It enhances the lung capacity and breathing efficiency
- Tones the cardio respiratory systems
- The stimulation of the throat centre improves the function of thyroid glands for the healthy body metabolism.
- Improves the functional capacity of the digestive organs
- The stretch on the intestines relieves the problems of constipation due to the stimulation of peristaltic activity.
- The musculoskeletal health is restored with this pose particularly the whole spine and the neck region are toned along with the spinal nerves.
- Prevents the possibility of the drooping or frozen shoulders
- One of the best practices for the good postural health as it overcomes the imbalances in body postures through the mechanism of tractions.
- Helps to maintain the health of the reproductive system both for male and female
- It is one of the excellent preparations for the practice of fish pose.